Sunday, February 2, 2014

Media Fast

I participated in the media fast from Thursday 12:00pm to Sunday 12:00pm. This was the first media fast that I have ever done and to be honest, I wasn't sure if I could do it. To my surprise, I actually lasted 72 hours without using technology socially. However, I would not suggest ever doing a media fast during the snow days of Wilmington, the weekend or when the internet is down and you can't do work for your other classes. I of course had to write a paper, watch films for class and attend meetings where I needed to use my laptop but I held myself accountable for not going on social media. One thing I noticed during my media fast was how attached the people around me were to their phones, laptops and televisions. I also noticed how much of a distraction my phone can be. I found myself tempted often to take a break from doing work and go on Twitter or Instagram. I will also admit that I am a shameless Candy Crush addict and was really quite sad when I couldn't play. Also, I noticed I had trouble falling asleep at nights. I am used to putting the TV on, setting a timer and falling asleep to the white noise. It was really hard to not use the TV, especially at night time. When I woke up this morning at 10:00am I was still in a state of drowsiness. I had opened up Instagram accidentally, and when I realized that it was opening, my phone flew out of my hand and across my room. Even though I only had 2 hours left of my media fast, I subconsciously thought "NO, don't do it!"I am glad to say that I survived the media fast...and so did my phone!

No comments:

Post a Comment