Sunday, March 30, 2014

Bolex 1 Minute Take

I had a blast on the Saturday shoot for the Bolex one minute take. It just reminded me how badly I want my own Bolex camera. Any opportunity I get to work with one is amazing. For my group's shoot, I was the Bolex operator. We had 2 of the guys from our group acting in front of the camera and the other member drove the car. The car acted as a dolly of sorts to allow for a smooth tracking shot. We did a few run throughs to avoid problems during the actual take. When we were filming, however, we still needed to improvise. The car was moving too fast and the actors were becoming too small in the frame. I made an executive decision to have Jen put the car in reverse. As we approached the actors again, the climax of our take happened. The guitar had smashed and Liam became the prominent character in the frame which added to the spooky atmosphere that his costume and unusual behavior supplied the audience with.

When we were developing the film I got to relive the dark room experience that I love. There is something unique and raw about being in a dark room and watching your image develop in front of your eyes. It makes you really appreciate the whole process! Overall, I had a blast with the Bolex project and I look forward to editing it and showing it to the rest of the class.

No comments:

Post a Comment