Monday, March 17, 2014

Bridgman Packer Response

My two experiences with Bridgman and Packer were both interesting and offered a new perspective into the evolution of the artistic world. On Monday's class I had little expectations for what we would be participating in with Bridgman and Packer. I certainly wasn't expecting to dance (I'm sure the rest of the class wasn't expecting this either). I found the workshop to be very insightful and interesting. However, I think that a lot of the 6x1 students were intimidated by the dancers who came to the workshop or feared inadequacy when it came to participation. As filmmakers, a majority of us have little background in dance, never mind the fluid, freestyle of dance that Bridgman Packer utilized. Luckily I do have some experience in dance and I appreciated the style that Bridgman and Packer flawlessly executed. During their performance on Friday, it was cool to see the different techniques that they used that we witnessed in the workshop. I found many sequences intriguing, especially when the two dancers began to lose their identity in the background as their silhouettes were projected multiple times on the screen. I also enjoyed the sequences where they played with gender norms and projected their bodies onto one another. Their overall performance felt like an art installation that might be seen at a prominent art gallery or dance studio. Bridgman and Packer were definitely interesting performers that grabbed your attention and they pushed the boundaries of any dance performance that I have ever witnessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment